SDG 4 Indicators Development Progress
The Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators (IAEG-SDGs), tasked to develop and implement the global indicator framework for the Goals and targets of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. In establishing the IAEG-SDGs, the United Nations Statistical Commission (UNSC) requested the use of existing regional mechanisms in order to ensure equitable regional representation and technical expertise.
The TCG has held meetings with its members and working groups to share and consult with members on the best approach to monitor SDG 4 progress with the development of a set of global and thematic indicators.
Meeting reports and consultation outcomes are available to the public.
First Meeting of the TCG
The first meeting of the TCG (TCG1) focused on three critical areas:
- the context and processes for global and thematic monitoring;
- modifying the thematic indicator framework based on the revised IAEG-SDGs global indicator proposal; and
- establishing priorities needed further development and next steps.
- Discuss and agree the list of thematic indicators to be recommended by the TCG for the adoption by the SDG-Education 2030 Steering Committee;
- Update participants on the implementation process regarding the SDG global indicators led by the Inter‐Agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators;
- Clarify the Data Governance Structure for SDG 4; and
- Identify the steps needed to operationalise the thematic indicators and establish working groups.
The global indicator framework was developed by the IAEG-SDGs and agreed upon, including refinements on several indicators, at the 48th session of the United Nations Statistical Commission (UNSC) held in March 2017.
The global indicator framework was subsequently adopted by the General Assembly on 6 July 2017 and is contained in the Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on Work of the Statistical Commission pertaining to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (A/RES/71/313).
Global framework document
SDG 4 Global Indicator Framework
3rd meeting of the IEAG-SDG in April 2016
- Initial Tier Classification:
- Tier I: 3 indicators (4.2.2, 4.b.1, 4.c.1)
- Tier II: 4 indicators (4.2.1, 4.3.1, 4.4.1, 4.6.1)
- Tier III: 2 indicators (4.1.1, 4.7.1)
- Combination of Tiers: 2 (4.5.1 –Tiers 1/II/III, 4.a.1 –Tiers I/II)
4th Meeting IEAG-SDG in November 2016
- 4.2.1 downgraded to Tier III
- 4.2.2 downgraded to Tier II
- 4.a.1 upgraded to Tier I