- TCG members met in person in Paris on 6 February 2024 to update on the TCG10 consultation, the membership rotation, and the Conference on Education Data and Statisticspreparations (Paris, 7 - 9 February 2024). It was decided that the TCG will be renamed ‘Education Data and Statistics Commission’ (EDS Commission); the TCG will remain the primary body for the coordination of the global education data and statistics; and the TCG will take forward the recommendations of the UNESCO Conference on Education Data and Statistics (EDS Conference) between sessions.
- View the results of the TCG10 consultation in this report (11 December 2023).
- The TCG has initiated its membership rotation process for the period 2024–2026 following the 10th TCG meeting. View the new TCG composition.
SDG 4 Scorecard progress report on national benchmarks: focus on teachers
The SDG 4 Scorecard shows countries’ efforts towards achieving their 2025 and 2030 national benchmarks, which represent their intended contributions to the achievement of SDG 4. Progress towards national targets is insufficient: countries are making good progress in Internet connectivity at school and teacher qualifications, but progress on the 6 other benchmark indicators is not on course.
Download the scorecard (English)
SDG 4 Scorecard progress report on national benchmarks in Africa
The SDG 4 Scorecard for Africa is a summary of the findings from the 2nd global assessment of country progress towards benchmarks since 2015. Overall, 72% of African countries have set national SDG 4 benchmarks for at least one indicator.
Download the Africa scorecard (English)
Education Finance Watch
The Education Finance Watch (EFW ) is a collaborative effort between the World Bank (WB), the Global Education Monitoring (GEM) Report, and the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS). The EFW aims to provide an analysis of trends, patterns, and issues in education financing around the world using various sources of education, economic, and financial data from the WB, UIS, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
The Education Finance Watch (EFW) 2023 updates analyses on trends and patterns of education spending for the past 10 years, up to 2021, the second fiscal year after COVID-19. As a special theme of this year’s volume, the EFW2023 sheds light on changes in the school-age population and projects its fiscal implications for the upcoming ten years for selected countries.
Download the EFW2023.
This year, the special edition of EFW2023 extracts its findings on Africa, marking the declaration of 2024 as the African Union (AU) Year of Education and aiming to provide information to ministers of finance and education. Where possible, the data are disaggregated by each Regional Economic Community (REC) and by each AU regional group.
Download the special edition of EFW2023
Bridging the Global SDG 4 Framework with Regional Frameworks
The UNESCO Institute for Statistics published a series of regional reports to bridge the global SDG 4 framework with regional education monitoring frameworks and developed a dashboard to show the correspondence between global and regional goals, targets, and indicators.
Latest news on Learning Data
A note on Foundational Learning
Foundational Learning is defined as basic literacy, numeracy, and transferable skills such as socioemotional skills that provide the fundamental building blocks for all other learning, knowledge, and higher-order skills.
The Global Coalition for Foundational Learning was founded in 2022 to bring together partners with a shared commitment to improving foundational learning for all and a desire to work together to drive change more quickly. Read more in this document.
Updated key learning data resources
- Assessment for Minimum Proficiency Level (AMPL) microsite (2024)
- Assessments for Minimum Proficiency Levels (AMPL): an efficient and effective tool for global reporting and strengthening capacity to conduct national assessments (2023)
- Reports on the implementation of Assessments for Minimum Proficiency Levels a and b (AMPL-ab) (2024): International report – The Gambia – Kenya – Lesotho – Zambia
- Pairwise Comparison Method Toolkit: a toolkit for countries to measure global learning outcomes (2024)
- Reporting learning outcomes in basic education: country’s options for indicator 4.1.1
- Aligning and reporting on indicator 4.1.1: UIS annotated workflow
- Policy Linking for Measuring Global Learning Outcomes Toolkit
- Learning Data Resource Center
Visit this page for a complete list of learning data resources.