What are benchmarks?
Benchmarks are targets set by countries for a number of selected education indicators for 2025 and 2030. They reflect a country’s contribution to the global SDG4 agenda; take into account a country’s starting point and rate of progress; and should ideally be based on national education sector plans or regional plans.
What are the objectives of setting benchmarks?
• Make countries accountable for their commitments towards the common global education agenda
• Contextualize monitoring of progress to reflect a country’s aspirations
• Link national, regional and global education agendas, to ensure coherence and mutual understanding of the different contexts
• Focus attention on data gaps in key indicators
• Strengthen national planning processes and highlight the importance of setting targets in national plans
• Prompt exchanges on challenges and good practices, promote mutual learning, and provide evidence for policy reforms and collective initiatives